Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Hitty Obsession

I love anything doll related... including books. So I was eager to read the book Hitty, Her First Hundred years because I've heard that its amazing. I was definitely not disappointed. I'm almost done with it already but I don't want it to end because its so good! For anyone that hasn't heard about it... here is a brief overview:

One day Rachel Field, the author of Hitty, was out with her friend Dorothy Lathrop when they saw a very interesting wooden doll in an antique shop. They were both fascinated by it so they decided to buy the doll, Hitty, together. This was back in the 1920s and the doll was already at least one hundred years old. They spent some time coming up with stories about where Hitty could've come from and what could've happened to her. This is how the book Hitty, Her First Hundred Years came about. Rachel wrote the book and Dorothy illustrated it. The book starts when Hitty was first carved from a piece of wood and it follows her thru her various adventures and tells how she ended up with each of her owners. Its an absolutely wonderful book. Here are some pictures of my copy of it.


There was also an updated version of the book made recently. It includes some new adventures for Hitty and has beautiful color illustrations. I ordered a copy of it a few days ago. When it arrives, I will post pictures of it.

The more I read of the Hitty book, the more obsessed I've become with her. I began searching the internet for Hitty information and found out that I'm not the only one thats obsessed with her! Hitty is everywhere! The most exciting part is that there are Hitty dolls! There are many people that carve them and sell them online, or you can buy kits and carve your own. People make these gorgeous Hitty dolls and then take them everywhere with them... making them traveling dolls like the one in the book. I have already found several websites dedicated to showing pictures of people's Hitty dolls at all the wonderful places they have been.

I think the Hitty dolls are amazing and I want one so bad! Its so neat how different they all look... yet they all resemble the doll from the book. I've been searching online for one. I don't want to make my own because I would like to buy one thats had a previous home. I like the idea that my doll would have had a previous life, and adventures, before me. I found one on ebay that I like and have been watching it for the past week. The auction ends in a few hours and so far I am the top bidder. I'll save all the details until after I find out if I win . For now I am anxiously waiting for the auction to end.... I'll post an update later!

No comments:

Post a Comment